Thursday, September 1, 2011

Honesty is the Best Policy

It is rare to see a clear dining room table in my house.

Let's discuss how to have a simplified life.

I think the key to having a simplified life is to be brutally honest with yourself.   I have a tendency to hang on things because I don't want to be wasteful.  I think I'll be able to make use of x,y, or z sometime in the future.  But honestly, I probably won't wear those pants, or those shoes, or finish that craft project.  And the sooner I can come to terms with that reality, the sooner I've be able to donate or sell that item and declutter my life. 

Every item that takes up room in your house requires energy- whether it's to maintain or whatever.  I learned from this blog that everything in your house should either be useful or beautiful.  Everything else is clutter.  Less clutter in your life = more energy for yourself.

More often that not, we are not capable of being this honest with ourselves. That's when good friends become invaluable, when they are willing to create an intervention in your life!

So my goal for this fall is to be brutually honest with myself and clear out all the things that are not beautiful or useful out of my life.  The result?  To have a zen-like home that doesn't require crazy maintenance.  Practically speaking, I'm hoping to have an easier time getting dressed in the morning because I'll only own things that fit and look good.  Secretly I'm hoping to make a buck or two by selling stuff I don't use.  (For example, I have a pair of Prada shoes that I got for a fraction of the original price.  I keep thinking that I'll wear them- but HONESTLY, my feet are too big for them post-pregnancy and they're too fancy for my life.  It's time to say good-bye.)

It's going to hurt.  I know it is.  There are things that I want to keep (like my Northface messenger bag) that I have no good reason to keep.  Just need to suck it up and do it.

I encourage you all to be honest with yourselves too!!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sister! :) We have to keep on encouraging eachother. That's what friends are for.

    p.s. love your dining table!

    ReplyDelete