Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Problem solved!

THE SITUATION
One of my favorite dresses....ruined by the moth holes.


THE PROBLEM
Tailor said mending the holes would draw more attention to them because it would pinch in the fabric. damn


THE SARCASTIC REMARK
I said, "What should I do? Buy a patch? (and by patch, I meant a Girls Scout badge, like the one I got for baking).  Tailor, with a serious face, said "yes".


THE GLIMMER OF HOPE
Off I went to the fabric store, praying that I wouldn't just find the patches that I used to sew on my denim vest back in the 80's a la Debbie Gibson.  I found these instead!


THE SOLUTION
I placed one patch strategically over the two holes and placed the other patch on the higher on the opposite side to bring some balance to the new visual interest on the back of my dress.

cue the choir of angels
ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!


ELATION!
I love the fact that I don't have to say any tearful good-byes to my dress. And I love that it only cost me $6.99.  It was quite a simple fix.  It took 5 minutes to buy it at the store and 5 minutes to iron it on.  It probably took more time to take all the photos and write about it.



LESSON LEARNED
Instead of trashing something, try to think outside the box to salvage it.  It might end up better than it started.

I leave you with the front view so you have an idea of what I was trying to save.  Good luck to you all who want to put a little sweat equity into your favorite things!

3 comments:

  1. Greatest post ever... So says keRRi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your creativity! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! It looks so good, not only does it hide the holes but I think it makes the dress even cuter!

    ReplyDelete