Sunday, November 18, 2012

Junk + Love = Treasure

While out thrifting with some friends we came upon this ugly coffee table from the 1970's.  I didn't even notice it at first honestly.  But when my friend said she wanted to bring it home I was suddenly jealous!!  Like I missed out on some fabulous purchase!  Oh no.  (Not sure what my problem was)  
Anyway,... at the last minute while we were standing in line to buy it (for $7) she changed her mind and decided not to take it.  YES!  It was mine!  Ha ha.  
 I decided I wanted to transform this ugly coffee table into a bench.
First things first:  Paint WHITE.  (my trademark color these days)
 Next I went to Joann's to get some fabric to make a bench cushion.  Unfortunately all the fabric that I liked was over $20 a yard and I needed 2 yards.  Ugh.  Couldn't explain that to my husband.  Buying a $7 coffee table to transform and end up spending another $40+ on fabric alone.  Oiy.
I had no choice.  I had to make my own fabulous fabric.  I bought plain gray duck cloth for $5 per yard and this cute stencil for $1.99.
 Then I went to town!  How cute is this??

 Love!  :)
 Next I took my 3 inch foam that I had cut to size at Joann's ($10 after 50% off coupon)  And layered my $6 plywood on top.

 I wrapped the fabric nice and snug and used my staple gun.
 Ta Da!  :)  I am in love with it!  And an added bonus:  I didn't permanently attach the cushion to the bench, so if I need to use this as a coffee table again, no worries.  Just remove the top and we're good to go!
 Not the best picture, but just wanted to show how big it is!  I think I may use it for extra seating when my family comes for Thanksgiving! :)
Ok... so all the totals so we can make sure my $7 thrift store purchase was worth it:
Coffee Table- $7
Primer- already had!
Paint- already had!
Fabric- $10 ($5 per yard)
Stencil- $1.99
Wood Board- $6
Foam- $10
GRAND TOTAL=$34.99


3 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! You're so creative, I'm always envious of your ambition... I'd buy the table and then take like 5 years to actually do anything to it. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing!! The pattern on the gray fabric is so pretty and stylish. The transformation is quite awesome. Great vision!! You did an amazing job!!!! This one is going down in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing!! The pattern on the gray fabric is so pretty and stylish. The transformation is quite awesome. Great vision!! You did an amazing job!!!! This one is going down in the books!

    ReplyDelete